Thursday, September 18, 2014

Mock (YEAH) Ing (YEAH)



I am a child of the 80s and 90s. I grew up with the Saturday Night Live staples of Chris Farley, Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell. Seriously, I still watch reruns they were so good. I love to push my sense of humor onto my kids (especially while they don't fight back on what they wear yet) so enter Detention Tees.


If peeing your pants is cool :)

Jamie, the hilarious driving force behind the brand, and I had to have grown up around the same time and have very similar sense of humor (so she is obviously awesome). She has a fantastic (and hilarious) line of printed tees for your littles. I love the references to the classics (like these Billy Madison and Dumb and Dumber among others). And all of the designs are printed on super soft American Apparel tees.

I asked Jamie a few questions about Detention tees, hope you enjoy reading as much as I did:

Such a cheese one minute and then the duh face.

Why did you decide to start your business? 

It was accidental! I was ironing on letters to shirts for my son, Noah, and enough people asked about them and persuaded me to take them to market - that I did.



How did you come up with your brand name?  

I wanted something fun, but edgy.  I started with the logo, the paper airplane, and eventually just came to "detention tees"!

Any advice or lessoned learned from your experience so far?  

I work full-time in addition to being a mom and owning this Company. I think it's essential to be truly passionate and excited about starting a business. It's not always easy to find the time or resources to continue, but if it's something that you truly love, you'll make the time. Sleep is overrated anyway.  I also think it's imperative to stick to your word. When I first started getting followers, I was asked about printing some special one-off shirts, and said yes before knowing what it would entail. I lost money on some of the prints, but I hopefully gained a few fans for life.
 
One of my favorite scenes in all of Dumb and Dumber.

What are some of your goals for the year?  

I'd love to "break even" for the year, but I think that garnering a solid following and fan base would be awesome.  It's hard not to focus on monetary goals, but I'm confident that that part of "success" will come in due time.

What is your favorite thing to do: for yourself?  

I LOVE the treat of a manicure - and it's JUST for me. I also love taking Bar Method classes - I get an hour to solely focus on me!
This boy is obsessed with cows. Once he found this cow, all games were over and he refused to do anything but Moo.

What's something about you that most people don’t know?  

I'm an open-book to most people around me, and terrible at keeping secrets (and quiet - hence "Detention").  I don't know that there's anything that people wouldn't know - I just had a health scare and got some positive news recently, and am excited to think about having a #2!

I want to sit here and play with these rocks. Like RIGHT MEOW.

Seriously, love this brand, Make sure you go check Detention Tees out and pick up a few awesome tees for your littles . Fair warning though, you will be jealous of your kid, seriously. And to sweeten the deal, right now (no pun intended....) use the code rightmeow for free shipping!

No comments:

Post a Comment